Friday, June 5, 2009

Cline Zin is Fine Vin

The Wine: Cline Cellars
Grape: Zinfandel
Vintage: 2007
Price: $9.99 in Atlanta's Trader Joe's

Where It's From:
California (probably combo of sourcing from Sonoma, Lodi, and other inland spots)

Normal Description:
Ok, this wine is pretty freaking good for a $10 bottle of zin. It's got a lot of the things that I love about zin -- initially it tastes like a raspberry briar (like the berries and then also kind of like the dirt they grow in --mmmmm), plus a good dose of vanilla (from the oak it gets aged in. I know you probably know this, but in case you don't, toasting oak gives the wood all sorts of flavors and the wine can take on those flavors when it hangs around in the barrel). I also love how it tastes like coffee and as it leaves my mouth it tastes like warm cinnamon spice. YUM.

Got snap or is it crap?: This was kind of surprisingly snappy. I had the previous vintage of this wine recently and I swore that I was drinking 2 buck chuck merlot. It was nast. This time they got it right. I really like it and will buy it again -- fitting perfectly with my motto "try everything twice." It will surely make an appearance when we grill out this summer. I may even have some with the baked falafel I'm having tonight (love spice and spice...)

0 comments:

Post a Comment