Thursday, June 25, 2009

Picton Bay Sauv Blanc (Costs $10 less than it's worth!)

A Marlborough Sauv Blanc at $7.99 that drinks like an $17.99 wine? Is that even possible? Oh yes, the wine gods have answered my call (tough times -- I can't afford to drink like I used to!). I'm getting a few cases before Trader Joe's figures out that they left $10 off the price.

The Wine: Picton Bay
Grape: Sauvignon Blanc
Vintage: 2008
Price: $7.99 in Atlanta's Trader Joe's (a total steal)

Where It's From:
Marlborough, New Zealand -- land of the tastiness Sauvignon Blanc in the world.

Normal Description:
If you are an aficionado of Marlborough Sauv Blanc you've got to get on this. I picked it up with trepidation, thinking lovingly of the Whitehaven that I used to be able to afford, and knowing that it couldn't possibly be close...

I love being wrong!

The wine is a nice light, golden color with just a touch of effervescence. I was worried when I saw the bubbles, because that's sometimes used in cheap wines to cover up the nasty flavors contained therein, but not here, my friends. The CO2 must have been used to keep it fresh.

The smell was Marlborough YUM -- the same green herb, grass, and gardenia that you would get from a much pricier wine. This one had a pronounced limey-ness too, almost like limeade. MMmmm. And the palate delivered too. Great acidity, a slight jalapeno burn (typical of the region), lime flavors, and a streamy-ness (like a babbling brook over rocks) what a great wine!

The wine shows its price with a bit of bitterness, and it lacks the layers and nuance that a fancier wine from this region would have, but for an everyday sipper -- bring it on, Trader Joe's!

Got snap or is it crap?: Sssssnnnnapppp. I love finding a good deal and here it is. If you can find this where you live, buy it, try it, and let me know what you think! Go kiwis! Way to be recession sensitive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment