Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday Limerick: Silver Birch, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc

I said it last week and I'll say it again, I polled Facebook fans (please "like" my Wine For Normal People Page so you can get regular updates!) and it seemed to go over pretty well, so here's the newest idea. I'm adding a Friday wine limerick each week.


I'll get the ball rolling and then I would love for you to participate! Send me your entry, I'll review it (nothing dirty please) and if I love it, I'll post it on the blog with credit to you!
Here's this week's:

Silver Birch New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, The Zip Is Gone


A New Zealand Sauv Blanc must have zip
Tastes of acid, grapefruit, cut grass; it's quite hip
But the box of Silver Birch
Kind of left me in the lurch
It was too watery, light, and lacked grip




The Wine: Silver Birch
Vintage:
2009
Where's it From: Marlborough, New Zealand (where all New Zealand Sauv Blanc hails from, for the most part)
The Grapes:
Sauvignon Blanc
Price: $24 for the equivalent of 4 bottles ($6/bottle)

Quick notes:
Although the best wine of the Octavin wine series by leaps and bounds, this is still a watered down version of New Zealand Sauv Blanc. Its convenience can't be beat and it's great for large parties (although MC Ice and I had a hard time getting the last morsels out of the bottom), but for $7.99 you can get Picton Bay from Trader Joe's and that's bursting with much fuller fruit flavor.

This wine is just ok, in my book...and I say that with the full disclosure that the box was sent to my by the winery (for which I am quite grateful, even though I don't love it).

0 comments:

Post a Comment