Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wine For Normal People Radio: Episode 11, How to Speak to a Sommelier

I've gotta say, this is my favorite episode to date. Although I love them all, this one gave me an opportunity to share some of the funnier things I hear in my line of work, and for Rick and I to talk about our experiences in restaurants (which are pretty common and sometimes frustrating). I hope you like it and it helps you next time you're out to dinner. Here is a rough outline of what we talked about...

  • Shout-outs - Some awesome comments posted on the blog, Facebook page, Twitter, and also iTunes
  • News - We're number one! We're number one! The U.S. ramps up its wine consumption.
  • Main Topic - How to Speak to a Sommelier
    1. The correct pronunciation of sum-muhl-YAY (thanks to forvo.com)
    2. Different levels of wine expertise
    3. The surprising etymology of the word "sommelier"
    4. Ordering from the wine list, and what to ask the sommelier
    5. How ordering wine is like choosing kitchen cabinets (I'm going through a renovation right now, so I had to draw the parallel!!!)
    6. What to do if your sommelier is an ass
  • Grape of the Week - Sauvignon Blanc
  • Next Week - Keep listening and you'll find out!
Here's the link: To listen, download the podcast from the iTunes store (and if you like it please add a comment or rate it so we can make sure to stay on the radar in "New & Noteworthy," which helps other folks find us easily that would be great!), click the link above, or use the player below! Thanks for listening!


0 comments:

Post a Comment